Happy Wednesday Loves! We’re halfway through the week, and I’m running on much more coffee than I am sleep! Anyone else with me? 😉
Speaking of sleep… Apparently it became a trend this year to wear pajamas and sleepwear as normal everyday clothes. Comfy clothes acceptable as work clothes? Why did this take so long to happen!? Best idea ever. One of my favorite strains of this trend is the lace-lined silk cami. It’s feminine, sophisticated, and luxurious looking….
…When styled well… When it (or any kind of sleep wear) isn’t styled well… it can end up being a frumpy disaster that screams, “my life is anything but together”. To help you avoid looking like the latter, I’m sharing some of my top tips for styling a lace cami (and most of these tips would work well for a PJ top too!) so that you end up looking like a sophisticated and on-trend fashionista!
- Pick a Cami that Fits Well – One of the biggest factors in determining whether an item of clothing will look great or frumpy on someone is the fit. You want a loose fitting cami, but you also want one that doesn’t end up too low if you size up. Camis with adjustable straps or high cut necklines are best! They let you save baring it all for the bedroom, and help keep you looking classy.
- Pick a Cami that Looks Expensive – Silk is a must! Silk adds that luxe element that you want when wearing Pjs or a Cami during the day that keeps you from looking tacky while avoiding any suspicious that you only are wearing what you are because you slept through your alarm. My cami was under $20, so you definitely don’t have to spend a lot to have it look like you did!
- Choose a Layer to Wear on Top – While you may be fine without an outer layer on a summer afternoon out adventuring, if you’re going to work or even just running errands or meeting with friends, an extra layer will keep you looking polished and put together. I love a long oversized cardi as an outer layer, like the one I’m wearing in the photos. But a blazer or short cardigan work well too!
- Choose Dressier Pants and/or Shoes – In order to look put together while wearing a comfy piece or two, you need to balance it with a dressy piece or two. Heels are such a great way to pull together a look, whether you go for boyfriend jeans, skinny jeans, or trousers, so I’d definitely opt for them if you can! They also are feminine and pair well with a lace cami.
- Accessorize with Delicate and Understated yet Beautiful Pieces – Lace-trimmed silk camis are delicate and subtle, yet so beautiful. Let that be a focal point of your outfit when wearing one, and make sure you don’t have too much else going on, or it will take away! I like to stick with streamlined pieces that have a similar vibe, like my Camelia Roma cross body and lacy gold filigree earrings.
Now that you know how to style camis, I’ve rounded up some great budget-friendly options (with one or two splurge ones too 😉 ) for you to shop! Don’t forget to let me know what you think of this trend in the comments below!