There is such an allure surrounding models and their style… They dominate the runways around the world, yet also seem to dominate the sidewalks in a much more approachable way. Something about their style when not strutting the catwalk leaves everyone mystified, yet star-struck and eager to imitate.
The words effortlessly chic always come to mind.
Today I want to share some tips with you guys on how to recreate that look yourselves! I’m breaking it down into those two elements; the effortless part, and the chic part…
– Casual. One of the key elements of the “model off-duty” look is the inclusion of a few comfortable and casual pieces, like Denim, Tees, & Sneaks. One of the things I’ve absolutely loved seeing is how models mix and match dressy or high end pieces and casual pieces to create an incredibly chic, individual, and fashion-forward ensemble.
– Sneakers. Throwing sneakers on with literally anything you’re wearing has become such a huge trend associated with off-duty models. Having spend a decent amount of time in Philly and NYC, I’m ALL about it! I absolutely adore heels, but I’ve been left with blisters from sprinting to catch a train or subway too many times, and am now so on board with wearing a stylish pair of sneaks for my city days! Plus, since it’s become such a trend, there are so many amazing options to choose from now. I absolutely love the sneakers by Greats I’m wearing in my outfit for this post. They’re a made-in-Italy luxury sneaker, but at a much better price point than you’d expect. They’re minimal, easy to throw on, and beautiful quality; they also come in so many beautiful colors and styles!
– Oversized. Being able to balance form fitting vs. oversized in an outfit is so essential to looking put together and stylish, especially when you want to have an ‘effortless’ air about your look. Models always nail it and almost always include at least one oversized piece in a look. Whether its a loose tee over skinny jeans, a crop top with baggy boyfriend jeans, or an oversized blazer or sweater on top of an ensemble, they always seem to strike that balance perfectly.
– Edgy. Leather, Ripped Denim, Studs, and anything Biker tend to make an appearance in model’s off-duty wear frequently. Whether its a leather moto jacket, leather sneakers, moto jeans (scored the pair I’m wearing here at the NSale and they’re amazing!!) or ripped jeans, they take the outfit to a whole new level of cool & bada$$! (pardon my French; but no other word really does their vibe justice!)
– Simple. One of the magical things about model’s style day to day style is that most often, the majority of the pieces that they’re wearing are very simple, basic pieces. Alone, a white t-shirt, black blazer, or pair of jeans seems boring, but true style is knowing how to combine and wear basics in a way that looks timelessly chic. Most of the time, model off-duty looks are understated and comprised largely of simple, basic pieces.
– Focal Piece. Models often pull together their look with a beautiful focal piece. Most often, this takes the form of a designer bag or luxury shoes, but sometimes it’s something like a bold lip, interesting print/texture, or statement piece. I love handbags & luxury pieces, so I tend to wear bags that elevate my look, but also love how my sneakers do that for this look as well, with their rich, luxurious black leather. On a cold day, I could also add a blazer or moto jacket into the mix!
I often wonder how much or how little thought models actually put into how they dress day to day… but for now, I hope this helps you achieve that effortlessly chic look that they always seem to have while off-duty. Even if it does take some effort on our part, the end result is so worth it!
ps- most of what I’m wearing is on sale! shop here…
This post is sponsored by Greats Brand, but as always, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.